Ohhh…the Lombardy Custard! I do miss seeing that around. I’d have to say the most common one I’ve not seen in a while is a true sack wine posset. Real mince pies are delicious. Been a while since I had an old weak beer.Terrapin stew, jellied eels.
I think by far and away, I miss the flavors of spices and combinations used. It was exceedingly common to see meat and fruit together in dishes, but this doesn’t appear to be common anymore except in non-western traditions, which is probably why these days I like Southeast Asian, Chinese, and Indian, Greek, and so forth.
Idiots go on and on at me about pineapple on pizza. Forgetting that tomato is a fruit. Fruit and meat balance well together. Always have. I’m of the old way. I cannot help it.
I quite enjoy having meat alongside fruit.
You still see remnants of the tradition, often with pork, which is commonly served with fruit glazes.
Personally, I like chicken stewed with apples and spices too, and plums pair beautifully with beef.
I have an amazing recipe for blackened chicken with a cherry maple sauce/glaze
Post it? Or submit it to my blog
here’s my blackening seasoning recipe:
1 heaping tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1 heaping teaspoon garlic powder
1 heaping teaspoon onion powder
¼ to ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons black pepper
½ teaspoon dried leaf thyme
½ teaspoon dried leaf oregano
Mix together put on everything.
- 2 cups real maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (light if available)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup dried tart cherry, chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, fresh
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- Combine syrup, soy sauce, water and cherries in small sauce pot over medium heat.
- Squeeze juice from half lemon in mixture and stir well.
- Once mixture is heated, begin adding ¼ cup of sugar and stir until complete dissolved. Taste glaze for sweetness. As different maple syrups will have different levels of sweetness, it might be necessary to add additional sugar.
- Reduce to desired thickness,
So, coat your chicken in your blackening seasoning, then cook it however you like, baked, grilled, etc. Serve with glaze and rice pilaf
You are a lovely human being.